Thursday 1 April 2010

Yellow and Pink!



This chap just could not understand why I'd be so interested in him which made him even more extraordinary to me...

Lately I've been thinking a lot about what makes us "like" something and dislike others...Is it merely a matter of taste or the cultural influence of our peers, the media, or our aspirations? Or is it perhaps that our senses are triggered by an earlier memory so embedded in our brains that we are no longer able to pinpoint that formative experience, be it a building that we connected with, a bunch of flowers we spotted at a Vienna basement window, or the colour of our mother's petticoat, which all form a value system that becomes a guide to help us make instantaneous decisions later on in life.

So, the scarf and the trousers made me think today, why indeed do I like this unusual combination? After much brain racking, an image flickered back into memory. Maurizio Nichetti. Ratataplan. A favorite director and film of my childhood. One of the supporting characters amongst the cavalcade of funny men was a young woman with a penchant for fuchsia overalls and yellow T-shirts. Now I don't remember much else from this movie but somehow that outfit captured my imagination and hence my passion for primary colours!...Or is it that simple?

Anyway, let us enjoy a bit of colour amongst our bankers' dull greys and pinstripes

(Note also the purple jumper!)

No comments:

Post a Comment